Top Ten Tuesdays are hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, and feature lists related to all things bookish–characters, authors, titles, and favorites.
Check out their blog for their top ten and lists of other bloggers!
April 30: Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book.
I chose more topics and sub-genres, because there aren’t a lot of single words that make me pick up a book. Any and all interesting/intriguing titles in a section of a bookstore I read (which is most of them) will earn a closer look.
1. Animals. Especially cats or dogs, but really anything where animals intersect humans. The books are often funny, touching, and/or inspiring.
2. Books. Yes, I like to read books about books. (What avid reader doesn’t?) Book collections, book lovers, or how a book changed someone’s life will also merit another look.
3. Fairy tale twists. I love seeing someone rewrite an old story. How do they update it? What do they change? Keep? And there’s nothing wrong with a motorcycle riding, werewolf hunting Red, for example.
4. Grim reapers. Especially when treated with humor, and told from the reaper’s point of view. It’s tough to be Death.
5. Pride & Prejudice sequels/spin-offs. I’ve talked about my love of P & P enough, I think.
6. Sherlock Holmes. I’ve read and re-read much of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s works. I can see why his fans threatened the poor man when he tried to stop writing about Holmes.
7. Steampunk. I’ve read 50 of the 100 Best Steampunk Books list on Goodreads, I like it that much. Alternate realities are fun! As are goggles and dirigibles.
8. Unicorns. Less the standard kind, and more the ones with attitude. I read a book about a killer unicorn when I was young, and I suppose it warped me for life.
9. Weird fiction. I was introduced to this genre by China Mieville, and much of what I’ve read is his books, but I’m gradually expanding that.
10. Zombies. Braaaiiinnns… I’ve found so many varieties of excellent zombie books out there, that I’m going to pick up any book about zombies. If it has an interesting variant, I’ll read it.