Top Ten Tuesdays are hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, and feature lists related to all things bookish–characters, authors, titles, and favorites. They’re an excellent way to find new interesting books on a variety of topics, and to find bloggers that love the books you do.
Check out their blog for their top ten and lists of other bloggers who participate.
April 18: Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book (topic originally done back in 2013 as top ten words/topics that will make me instantly want to read a book) — so yeah basically any topic or theme or ANYTHING (ie if X person recommends it) that will make you instantly want to pick up a book. My list will likely be called Jamie-bait because there are soooo certain things you can say in a summary or a review that will just instantly draw me to it!
1. Diversity. When a book honestly and effortlessly includes different kinds of people, that’s just wonderful.
2. Detailed World Building. If a book comes with well-developed, evenly integrated world building, it always catches my eye.
3. Fairy-tale Retellings. Something the brothers Grimm collected, or more obscure folk tales–tell the story slant and I’ll read it.
4. Focused, Quirky Non-Fiction. It’s hard to describe what will catch my eye, but the strange little stories always do.
5. Gorgeous Covers. I do judge a book by its cover, what can I say?
6. Interesting Titles. Just like a pretty cover, a title can catch my eye, and I’ll read the book if I can.
7. Pride & Prejudice Retellings. I have a fondness for any classic retelling, but this particular story is one I adore especially.
8. Strong Female Protagonists. Not just a female lead, but one that doesn’t need rescue.
9. Unique Urban Fantasy. I can’t quite read all of it, but I will certainly check out any interesting sounding urban fantasy book.
10. Zombies. Most especially unusual zombie stories, but I love a good zombie story of any kind.