Top Ten Tuesdays are hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, and feature lists related to all things bookish–characters, authors, titles, and favorites. They’re an excellent way to find new interesting books on a variety of topics, and to find bloggers that love the books you do.
Check out their blog for their top ten and lists of other bloggers who participate.
May 23: Summer Reads Freebie: In preparation for Memorial Day (which is always the unofficial summer kickoff for me), let’s rec some summer/beach reads: books to go in your beach bag, best books set in summer, books with summer-y covers, best beach reads for people who don’t enjoy contemporary/realistic reads, best beach reads for fans of X genre, etc. etc.
I like beaches in a “whole bunch of sunscreen and shade” sort of way, so here’s some beachy/vacation reads. Which I consider happier reads–romance, humor, and adventure.
1. Bossypants; Tina Fey. Humorous memoirs are great for a short reading times, or a long relaxing time.
2. Stardust; Neil Gaiman. A traveling story for when you travel.
3. On the Island; Tracey Garvis-Graves. You have to have an island romance on the beach, right?
4. Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow; Jessica Day George. To cool off on a hot day.
5. Howl’s Moving Castle; Diana Wynne Jones. A little magic on the beach.
6. Ella Enchanted; Gail Carson Levine. A nice, fairly short fantasy adventure feels beachy to me.
7. Uprooted; Naomi Novik. A great adventure, magic, and a bit of romance.
8. Anna and the French Kiss; Stephanie Perkins. Light romances are great vacation reads.
9. Going Postal; Terry Pratchett. Humor is a great mood lifter for holidays.
10. Troubled Waters; Sharon Shinn. Some more magic and romance.