Top Ten Tuesdays, hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, feature lists related to all things bookish–characters, authors, titles, and favorites. They’re an excellent way to find new interesting books on a variety of topics, and to find bloggers that love the books you do.
Check out their blog for their top ten and lists by other bloggers!
August 20: Favorite Tropes (a trope is a commonly used theme or plot device) (submitted by Andrea @ Books for Muse)
I could go on forever about tropes I dislike, but I’m going to be positive–and shorter this week. 🙂 Alphabetical, as always.
- Complicated Villain. My favorites don’t have a whiny backstory, or sacrifice themselves for redemption, but as you read more of their backstory, you *get it.*
2. Divine Intervention. When the going gets really tough, a bolt out of the blue can be effective–especially if this help comes with a hefty price tag, or hurts as much as it helps.
3. Friends to Lovers. The best antidote to instalove, I think.
4. I am No Man! When there’s no space for strong women in a culture, but a woman cuts her hair (or something), and shows everyone who’s boss.
5. Reluctant Hero. I get it, adventures are tough. There might not even be running water or a bed! It’s like camping with an alien invasion/dragons/zombie apocalypse thrown in.
6. Rise of the Machines. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords. When artificial intelligence suddenly emerges, the possibilities are endless.
7. Unlikely Hero. I’m not talking about a Chosen One, but a person who has the skills (or learns them) to save the day.