Banned Book Week 2012:September 30 – October 6.
Go read a banned book! (The link has a pretty long list, you should be able to find something interesting.) How many of those have you read already? I’ve read a few, myself. Some of them I liked… some not so much.
There’s no good reason for censorship, I think. Yeah, there’s terrible things in some books–but people do terrible things, and if we pretend they never happened, how do we prevent them from happening again? That and I resent other people deciding what I can read. I can make up my own mind, thank you very much.
And banned books can be awesome. Harry Potter? Some people have so sense of humor.
This is the Top Ten Most Frequently Banned List from last year. Full list here.
- ttyl; ttfn; l8r, g8r (series), Lauren Myracle
- The Color of Earth (series), Kim Dong Hwa
- The Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins
- My Mom’s Having A Baby! A Kid’s Month-by-Month Guide to Pregnancy, Dori Hillestad Butler
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Sherman Alexie
- Alice (series), Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
- What My Mother Doesn’t Know, Sonya Sones
- Gossip Girl (series), Cecily Von Ziegesar
- To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
I’ve only read 3 of these… I may check the rest out to see if anything else speaks to me. Because really, what I need is more books on my To-Read list.